Los Angeles and Southern California in general are dangerous places for bicyclists. The population is large and the numbers of careless, distracted and negligent drivers are far too many. If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation for property damages, medical bills, lost wages, emotional distress, pain and suffering and more. It is imperative that you seek the immediate help of a knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyer who can enforce your rights and get you the highest possible recovery. Our dedicated Los Angeles Personal injury attorney is committed to helping those who have been injured in bicycle accidents. Contact us today for a free case evaluation, (877)205-8784 .
COMMON CAUSES OF BICYCLE ACCIDENTS
Bicycle accidents can have one or sometimes several causes, but most often, these types of accidents can be attributed to negligence or error on the part of an automobile driver. Alternatively, there can be circumstances where the poor design and/or maintenance of roadways are the cause of an accident, in which case, certain governmental agencies may be held liable for damages. Some common causes of bicycle accidents:
- Intrusion of a bike lane by driver
- Failure to yield right-of-way to a bicyclist
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Inattentive or distracted driver
CALIFORNIA BICYCLE LAWS
Under California law, every bicyclist upon a highway has all the rights of a motorist and is subject to all the provisions of the California Vehicle Code. Some of the important California laws pertaining to cyclists are as follows:
- Bicyclists have the right to ride on most roadways in California except for certain freeways and highways. CVC 21200
- Motor vehicles are required to provide a safe distance between their automobile and a person a bicycle when the pass the cyclists. AB 1371.
- Bikes must ride on the right half of the roadway with the flow of traffic. Certain exceptions apply such as when cycling on a one-way street or when it is unsafe to ride right due to construction or repair of the road. CVC 21650
- Car doors should not be opened by the occupant unless and until it is safe to do so and should not be kept open longer than necessary to load or unload. CVC 22517
- Bicyclists can turn left from the turn lane or within an intersection, but must signal prior to doing so (including hand signals). CVC 22107 and 22111
POSSIBLE INJURIES FROM BICYCLE ACCIDENTS
Due to the nature of bicycle accidents, the injuries sustained by those involved are usually serious. Some possible injuries resulting from bicycle accidents include:
- Broken bones including collar bone, ribs, jaw, leg, arm
- Spinal cord injuries
- Organ damage
- Road Rash / Contusion
- Broken teeth
- Brain Injuries
WHO MAY BE LIABLE FOR YOUR INJURIES?
Those who may be liable for injuries and damages resulting from a bicycle accident will depend on the cause of the accident. Most often, negligent drivers are liable; however, circumstances can result in liability being placed on a government entity.
WHAT DAMAGES CAN YOU RECOVER?
The damages that can be recovered by a person injured in a bicycle accident can vary. Some of the most common damages that can be recovered include:
- Property damages
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of earnings
- Past medical expenses
- Future medical expenses
- Punitive damages
WHAT CAN THE JUSTICE ATTORNEY GROUP DO FOR YOU?
Accident victims must prove negligence, recklessness or willful conduct on the part of the liable party in order to get compensation for their damages. The process required to achieve this can be complex and convoluted. To ensure the proper handling of your case, it’s best to retain the services of a skilled and tactful bicycle accident lawyer. The Justice Attorney Group has a team dedicated to helping you with every facet of your case, including interviewing witnesses, investigating the cause of the accident, obtaining evidence, filing insurance claims, initiating a lawsuit in a court of appropriate jurisdiction and utilizing various resources to achieve favorable outcomes for our valued clients.